Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Grey's Anatomy," and Other Autobiographical Stories


I've been brainstorming ideas for how to borrow from popular culture to frame my autobiography. Here's what I've come up with so far:
"Grey's Anatomy" - An eternally-running television series about a middle-aged woman's eggs and their quest for McSpermy. (Genre: medical, dramedy)
"Snow White" - The story about how a Maiden turns into a Crone and only then decides to become a Mother with the help of seven in-vitro cycles. So far. (Genre: Brothers Grimm fairy tale)
"1984" - An Orwellian tale about the number of subcutaneous and inter-muscular shots it takes me to get pregnant. Or not. (Genre: non-fiction)
"The Terminator" - It's 2029, and I'm still trying to have a baby after 23 years. Stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as my uterus. (Genre: sci-fi, action)
"Rite of Spring" - A composition about life and renewal everywhere except my uterus. (Genre: classical music, ballet)
"Exodus" - The Passover story where the 10th plague is God's "passing over" my uterus so that I never get pregnant. (Genre: Biblical)
"Cats" - A foreshadowing of my life after the pursuit of family-building ends. (Genre: Broadway musical, horror)
Or, if I'm really lucky,
"Sticky Fingers" - An album of Rolling Stones songs about life with a baby. Or two. (Genre: rock and roll, fantasy)

No comments:

Post a Comment